In the age of connectivity where most office workers rely on the convenience and security of devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops to perform any number of work-related tasks, including printing, drivers make it all possible. Read on to learn all you need to know about printer drivers and best practices to ensure the efficiency and reliability of your print equipment.
What are Printer Drivers?
Printer drivers are a type of software or computer program that allow an application to communicate with a printer, and send print requests in a recognizable format. The two key functions of a printer driver are:
- Convert the print job data into a language that the printer can understand.
- Provide the computer with relevant information regarding the details and specifications of the printer.
Every brand of printer and each model under that brand has its own unique driver, which must be installed in order for the computer to connect to the printer.
The Importance of Keeping Printer Drivers Up-To-Date
Printer drivers that are corrupt or out of date can cause a number of issues and may prevent the printer from performing as it should. Watch for these signs that indicate your printer driver may be due for an update:
- You experience frequent or periodic connection issues.
- The quality of printing has decreased and documents are not as clean or crisp as they used to be.
- Print jobs are lost between the computer and the printer.
- The printer may display unexplained errors.
- You will be updating the operating system on your computer.
Tips to Update Your Printer Drivers
Once you have determined that you need to update your printer driver you will need to implement a series of quick, easy steps to complete the installation:
- Identify the brand and model of printer, which is typically located on the side or back of the unit.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website to find the appropriate driver to solve your concerns, keeping in mind that the latest driver may not be the one that you need.
- Download and install the new driver following the manufacturer’s instructions and on-screen prompts.
- Test the printer from a variety of devices to ensure the update has solved the issue.
Update your printer drivers as needed to ensure optimal performance and reliability and enhance the quality of your documents. Contact us at PrimeEdge to learn more.